Marseille v Atletico Madrid Betting Tips:
Atletico Madrid aim to lift the trophy they won in 2010 and 2012 on Wednesday evening as Diego Simeone’s side face Marseille in the final of the Europa League.
Los Rojiblancos have a much greater recent European pedigree than their French opponents, with two recent Champions League finals under their belt as well as those victories in this tournament.
Marseille, meanwhile, have also lost five matches in the tournament this season and they are two contributing factors as to why the La Liga outfit are such clear favourites.
The only potential injury concern for Atletico is winger Vitolo, who missed the weekend win over Getafe but trained on Monday and could be available.
Their opponents have doubts over striker Kostas Mitroglou and centre-back Rolando.
- Luiz Gustavo could start at centre-back with Rolando struggling with a knock. Rudi Garcia will give the Portuguese boss every opportunity to prove his fitness ahead of the Europa League final, however.
- Kostas Mitroglou is also a doubt, which could see Valere Germain lead the attack.
- All in all, Garcia isn’t expected to make wholesale changes to his first choice XI.
- Sime Vrsaljko returns from suspension for Atletico Madrid, though Diego Simeone may continue with the experienced Juanfran at right-back.
- Filipe Luis may get the nod at left-back ahead of Lucas Hernandez after the former’s full recovery from injury.
- Jose Gimenez and Vitolo are both doubts for the La Liga giants, though have been included in the travelling squad, with Stefan Savic and Angel Correa in line in deputise in defence and on the right flank, respectively.
Marseille’s journey to the final has been erratic to say the least, with Rudi Garcia’s men needing an extra time goal from Rolando to send them through against Salzburg in the semi-final.
Not only have the Ligue 1 outfit lost five times in the Europa League this term, they have also failed to score in five matches and against arguably Europe’s best defensive unit, they could struggle once more.
Atletico’s defensive record in La Liga is extraordinary, with the Madrid outfit having conceded just 20 goals in 37 games.
Jan Oblak is making a strong case for being the world’s best goalkeeper and across La Liga and the Europa League this term, the Slovenian stopper has kept a stunning 26 clean sheets.
There have been under 2.5 goals scored in Atletico‘s last 4games (UEFA Europa League).
Tips and predictions
Backing another clean sheet for Atletico appeals, and the price of 11/8 (2.38) for the Spanish side to win to nil looks like being a smart way to back them.
For higher odds, backing Simeone’s side to win and under 2.5 goals at 11/5 (3.20) could also be an interesting value option.
- Marseille lost ground in the race for a Champions League finish as they drew 3-3 with Guingamp on Friday night and they now sit three points behind Monaco ahead of the final week of the season. The Ligue 1 side have won just one of their last four competitive outings and just two of their last four Europa League matches. They also lost their only visit to Parc OL this season, falling to a 2-0 loss to Lyon back in December, while their form away from the Velodrome in the Europa League this season has been poor, with just one win from their seven away games in Europe this term.
- Atletico Madrid have too struggled on their travels in European action this season, winning only two of seven away Champions League and Europa League matches. Their form coming into this one, though, has been commendable, with Diego Simeone overseeing three wins in Atletico’s last four matches. However, like Marseille and the Velodrome, the Spanish side have faltered on their travels of late, with a five-match winless run preceding back-to-back wins over Alaves and Getafe, respectively.
- Atletico will look to their resolute defence to see them through Wednesday’s final and they should have the means to secure a third Europa League trophy in what is expected to be a hard-fought contest in Lyon.